Photo

Lag in general with WoW 2.0 (naked People/?s for gear/Raid lag)

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Ragnor

Ragnor

King Hippo

• Members
  • 606 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:44 AM

Awesome thanks, hopefully this does the trick. Trying it now.

Update: 10-20fps improvements for most of my guild mates. Nice spotting and as always EJ forums has the info.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

www.retpaladin.com

#22 ninor

ninor

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:07 PM

You only need to make the WDB folder actually, it will make the enGB/enFR/enWhatever by itself.

#23 Logain

Logain

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 05:11 PM

Hey guys after reading this thread i went to my WoW folder to see if the WDB fodler was there and the whole cache folder structure was there and also the .wdb cache files that were named above, BUT all of the fodlers were read-only, so I turned that off and logged back into to WoW and the 1-2 sec lag issue with trade skills was gone. So make sure your cache folders are not write-proteced, thats another f.ck up by Blizzard (pardon my language).

I hope this info helps you. Cheers!

#24 Onox

Onox

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 05:20 PM

When i made these folders the other day i got all the files mentioned above in them. But checking the folder today the files are gone again. Other people in my guild are also missing the files again, and are notcing that the lag is back. I had to download somthing when i loged in today, so it might have somthing to do with that. Anyone know anything about this?

#25 Javi

Javi

Diamond Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 05:45 PM

It seems the WoW client sets the read-only attribute on the folders when starting up. I unset the attribute as I already had the folders in question, and found that after the cache files appeared as the should, the folders were again read-only. Exiting WoW does not reset the attributes, thus the folders stay read-only.

For the record, the cache files themselves are not read-only, meaning read-only folders dont really matter, as the WoW client just updates the already existing cache files. So if you have cache files already, there is no point in changing folder attributes

#26 surrender

surrender

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 06:55 PM

Big thanks for this...
Helped me and my whole guild a lot :)

#27 Gorb

Gorb

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:22 PM

We raided for the first time since the patch last night. BOOM! Multiple people in the raid with good systems all of a sudden had horrible frame rates.

I remembered this thread, so we tried the fix. It did not work for anyone.

I'm currently running CTRAID, BigWigs, Clique, GotWood, SCT, and SCTD. I'm going to experiment with it more tonight to see if I can isolate the problem, but I can say for certain that the read-only file setting in the WDB folder and cache files is not causing the frame rate hit.

#28 koaschten

koaschten

In the rear with the gear!

• Members
  • 5,668 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:32 PM

get rid of ctraid :X
How to get an Android Authenticator on your PC. (updated feb'11)

http://goo.gl/fackr

#29 Tibor

Tibor

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:32 PM

I believe CTRA has been nothing but an unmitigated headache since the patch. There isn't any discernable reason to stick with it when much better-supported, more featureful, and quicker-performing options exist. Chiefly, oRA2.

#30 Oneiros

Oneiros

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 10:04 PM

I believe CTRA has been nothing but an unmitigated headache since the patch. There isn't any discernable reason to stick with it when much better-supported, more featureful, and quicker-performing options exist. Chiefly, oRA2.

I'd like to check out this oRA2. I tried searching a few places for it but couldn't find a version that had been updated for 2.0. Currently, CTRaid seems, as you said, to be causing more problems than it is worth.
I believe in Harvey Dent.

#31 Wanand

Wanand

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 10:25 PM

i am still having horrible fps in raid with this fix and no sound fix and even with no addons before patch i had good fps in raid enviroments 40+ now i going as low as 10, 24 of us done mc today, when rag dispawned i was getting a whoping 1-5 fps , i dred to think what thad is going to do to my fps not had a chance to do him since patch

#32 Gort

Gort

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 10:27 PM

I'd like to check out this oRA2. I tried searching a few places for it but couldn't find a version that had been updated for 2.0. Currently, CTRaid seems, as you said, to be causing more problems than it is worth.

http://www.wowace.com/files should have what you need. Not the friendliest download interface, but reasonably straightforward. You'll probably want the one with the highest revision #/latest update date.

#33 Hamlet

Hamlet

Mike Tyson

• • Guide Author
  • 11,540 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 01:46 PM

Has this been fixed in a recent patch?

#34 Tel

Tel

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:15 PM

i am still having horrible fps in raid with this fix and no sound fix and even with no addons before patch i had good fps in raid enviroments 40+ now i going as low as 10, 24 of us done mc today, when rag dispawned i was getting a whoping 1-5 fps , i dred to think what thad is going to do to my fps not had a chance to do him since patch

Firstly, WTB punctuation.

Secondly, I'd imagine there is someone in your raid using CT_RA. We had a large number of people experiancing similar problems, and they stopped when we made sure no one was using CTRA at all. Anecdotal I know, but worth a try.

#35 Dralmoo

Dralmoo

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 09:59 PM

Maybe the "hidden" messages sent by CTRA and other addons could be causing lag? I wonder how hard it would be to write an addon to block the addon "chat channel" facility, for testing purposes. I'll look into it.

#36 Tel

Tel

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:17 PM

Maybe the "hidden" messages sent by CTRA and other addons could be causing lag? I wonder how hard it would be to write an addon to block the addon "chat channel" facility, for testing purposes. I'll look into it.

That was what we decided it seemed to be in the end. Getting everyone to install oRa was easier than fixing it tho :P

#37 Apate

Apate

Mike Tyson

• Members
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:23 PM

doesn't oRA have a mechanism to intercept CTRA messages?

I mean, I don't think it is the mere sending of messages that is the problem.

Poor Cide.
See you, auntie.

#38 Dralmoo

Dralmoo

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 05:10 PM

Each time you receive a message from CTRA or other addons, CHAT_MSG_ADDON fires. If you have a lot of addons registered for that event, and CTRA (or some other mod) is sending them at an "excessive" rate, that could theoretically cause lag. Blocking messages from a specific addon seems tricky. You can suppress the output but that still results in your addons processing the message.

I'll have to look at how BigWigs blocks /rw messages. In the meantime I'll probably write something to just tally the number of messages received from each addon, should help see who the worst offenders are.

This is definitely a flaw in the current system though. At least before, if you didn't want to run swstats or dm or ctra you didn't join those channels. Now you're going to receiving sync events from them constantly, like it or not.

#39 Dralmoo

Dralmoo

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 05:45 PM

[double post removed]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users