• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 grenadeshark

grenadeshark

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:42 PM

Ok, i have a situation wondering about flurry DPS while leveling my shaman. I understand no one can technically calculate flurry DPS because of the fact that it is a proc and I took a look at the threads of significance, but I did not have my question answered adequately.

Here is the deal.

Im lvl 25 using a lvl 25 1h/2h weapon.

Attack power is around 166.

Flurry atm is a 10% proc rate. I have a 15% crit rate. With my 1h my damage range is

45-60

My 2h damage range is.

83-109

This is a 1.4 speed dagger vs a 3.1 speed 2h both lvl 25.

So here comes the theory craft.

I have concluded that using this 1h dagger will produce more DPS over time then the equivilent 2h. I did some math to back it up, but I doubt it is anything that can be proven beyond theorycraft.

I based this observation off of these factors.

1. Being a 1.4 speed dagger, it will crit almost twice as much as the equivalent 2h. Also, this means flurry will be up around 13% more of the time with the 1h as it would effectively mean a little bit more then double the crit rate as you swing over twice as much in the same amount of time ( best runon ever).

2. Also, knowing that a 2h will not crit as much, when it does crit, you could have overkill. I mean this by saying the mob could have 30 health left and you could crit it for 200 effectively wasting 170 damage.

3. The equivalent 1h would hardly ever crit over the mobs health as it is a lower damage and more likely to produce sustained DPS that is not wasted.

4. There is really only 2 reasons i could possibly see to use a 2h over a 1h while leveling and I feel they are insignificant compared to the pro's of using the 1h. When you do crit with a 2h, your flurry bonus will be higher then the equivalent 1h. Lets pretend we have all points in flurry. This means that on a 1.4 spd dagger you would then move to .98 swing speed and on a 3.1 2h, you would move to a 2.17 swing speed. This means over 3 swings, the 2h would gain 1.53 seconds over the dagger.

5. The other reason could be that you just got a badass blue 2h over like a green dagger. The same could be said for getting a badass one hand.

So here are my conclusions that i need you guys to confirm or deny with math or whatever logical thinking you can come up with.

1. Use a 1h and a shield all the time. The perfect damage range that balances actual speed and flurry speed increase seems between 1.9 and 2.3.

2. The only time to use a 2h is if you are grinding low level mobs or have an extremely slow weapon and a very high crit rate. A 3.8 speed weapon with a very high crit rate (20% +) could work out if you could actually use flurry for all of its charges.

3. The more crits you gain from a faster weapon(and more flurry procs) is worth more then the extra speed you will gain from flurry (and more damage)on a slow 2h weapon.

All of these observations are based on a level 25 character with access to green weapons and gear. I want to know how true this statement stays between like level 25-40. (i say 40 because im going duel wield then which is definately better then the equivalent 2h)

People i have talked to believea 2h will almost always be better from a pure leveling perspective. I disagree. Which is correct based on my numbers?

#2 Tyvi

Tyvi

Never, Mags. Never!

• • Guide Author
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:47 PM

http://forums.elitis...pic.php?id=7030

Warrior and Shaman Flurry mechanics should be close enough.

I don't know if your title is supposed to be ironic or not because otherwise my reply would have been "Try this thread, THE DPS WARRIOR SPREADSHEET THREAD!!!!!!! ;)

#3 Malan

Malan

Mike Tyson

• Allied Members
  • 29,830 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:48 PM

Flurry atm is a 10% proc rate. I have a 15% crit rate. With my 1h my damage range is

10% Proc rate of Flurry? Where did you get that? The Shaman Flurry talent states quite clearly "Increases your attack speed by X% for your next 3 swings after dealing a critical strike." That's not a proc. You get a crit, you get flurry for the next 3 hits. You will get Flurry just as often as you Crit. So 15% in your case. There isn't a seperate proc rate for it.

Edit - perhaps you meant to write "Flurry is atm a 10% attack speed increase?

#4 Tyvi

Tyvi

Never, Mags. Never!

• • Guide Author
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:50 PM

I think he is referring to the speed increase of 10% because that is the highest you can get at level 25 (1/5 Flurry).

#5 Fellwraith

Fellwraith

It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle...

• Members
  • 6,808 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:51 PM

I hear multiple exclamation points and posting in all caps makes you popular. Confirm/deny?

#6 Malan

Malan

Mike Tyson

• Allied Members
  • 29,830 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:57 PM

Your question is also confusing.

People i have talked to believea 2h will almost always be better from a pure leveling perspective. I disagree. Which is correct based on my numbers?

Confusing because at the very beginning of your post you also state:

I have concluded that using this 1h dagger will produce more DPS over time then the equivilent 2h. I did some math to back it up, but I doubt it is anything that can be proven beyond theorycraft.

Which makes it sound like you already figured out the answer.

#7 Greybone

Greybone

Soda Popinski

• Guild Members
  • 4,589 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:59 PM

This is a sweet thread, thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users