• This topic is locked This topic is locked
184 replies to this topic

#181 Miarose

Miarose

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:33 PM

I haven't seen much, if any talk about crit lately on here. Due to circumstances out of my control, after blizzard changed the T10 set bonus, I am stuck in 277 shadow tier for disc, unless I want to lose the stats to drop down to 4 piece 264 holy tier for the bonus, which I do not. When playing a versatile disc role in raids, ie. tank assisting/healing, shield spamming, is there a point we get to where too much crit is overkill? The 'weight' of crit obviously seems dependent upon your raid role, and if you're lacking in other stat areas.

Ever since the change by Blizz to have our shield glyph heals accurately affected by Divine Aegis, DA's healing has subsequently gone up, making crit seem even more appealing.
"If I was gold capped I'd blow it all on drugs and sex." - Phrozenn

#182 Starfire

Starfire

Blackfire too!

• Members
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:55 PM

I believe, if you took the shadow tier you would have more haste, not more crit. So I am a bit confused as to what you're asking given you seem to be questioning the difference between shadow tier and healing tier.

By the way, the stats and spellpower won't make up the difference 5% bigger shields will do. However if you're a tank healing Disc priest or a second Disc priest in the raid, I suppose the haste and crit would be far better.

Everyone should start from the same place and rise based on their abilities, desires, and schedule. No one plays MMOs to *be* powerful, they play MMOs to *become* powerful. It's the journey, stupid. The rarer loot is, the more cherished it is when you get it, but only so long as there is a reasonable expectation to get it. The rarer loot is, the better it feels when you kill a boss or when $AWESOME_TRINKET drops.

#183 Miarose

Miarose

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:01 AM

Ah, you misunderstood Star, or maybe I phrased poorly. I'm not asking which is better. I'm asking about the value of crit at much higher levels. Is there a point to where it become subject to diminishing returns and rather pointless to gain more? Or possible to have too much.
"If I was gold capped I'd blow it all on drugs and sex." - Phrozenn

#184 Carnathagia

Carnathagia

Piston Honda

• Allied Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:47 AM

If you're spamming shields and mana isn't an issue, crit is the only secondary stat that makes sense. For anything else, haste is more throughput per point. There isn't a diminishing return necessarily, but depending on your spell makeup some of that critical rating would be better as haste.

edit:

There should be a formula that shows where the benefits change based on your spell usage. For instance, the critical rating conversion is 45.906, while the haste rating conversion is 32.79. So, assuming (falsely) that the throughput increase are the same, haste is already 40% better per rating.

However, for direct heals, Haste gives a flat 1% increase per percentage. Critical gives less, since a critical heal is 1.5 times larger than a normal heal instead of twice as large. I believe that Divine Aegis makes this 1.9. For shielding, haste gives 0 value, and critical gives an increase that is 1.9*20% of your shield value (Power Word: Shield glyph heal).

Perhaps one of the more advanced statistical mathematicians here can confirm the formula that shows at what ratio of direct heals to shields does haste come out as the throughput winner for Discipline priests. This is particularly relevant for Halion if you are the 'upstairs' healer, and a large portion of your heals are direct heals on the tank.
Emraldè - Resto/Balance Druid - Carnathagia - Holy/Disc Priest - Liltankh - Prot/Fury Warrior
Jovavich - Arcane/Fire Mage

#185 Hegen

Hegen

In gear/DCT lock pin

• Members
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:38 PM

As all of you are aware, the 4.0.1 patch introducing heavily changed mechanics will hit servers any day now. The applicability of the current Priest Healing Compendium thus comes to an end and so does this thread.

In my final revision to the guide, I have appended a new section that contains my notes regarding which guide section needs some work, needs to be rewritten or might still be usable (I was actually surprised there are such sections). If a new guide author wishes to discuss that list, please use PM - expect this thread to be locked pretty soon.

The simple fact is this. We are told to concentrate more. But we can only do that if we are allowed to go considerably faster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users