Photo

Headset/Microphone/Headphones - What's good?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Easar

Easar

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 01:42 AM

I'm looking "reviews" of your headset/microphone/headphones. Everybody here uses at least a mic, and soundis an important part tof the WoW experience, so decent headphones are nice =) I've also always had problems with my mic not being loud enough even at all settings amxed and soudn quality not being too good. I guess I'm not the only one ;)

So I'm looking for a decent headset or headphones & microphone combination, something better than the average 25$ headset.

I got a cheaper Plantronics headset, but it's not very comfortable when I'm wearing it for longer periods, and the sound quality sucks compared to my regular speakers. I need a headset though because the neighbours are otherwise terrorizing me for making to much noise when gaming at night.

I have been looking at several things, one is this Sennheiser headset for about 60$

http://www.sennheise...nsf/root/500582

I remember reading decent reviews of Sennheiser headsets in the past, and this looks like it might also be suitable for listening to music, meaning that the sound quality is probably good.

What I like even more is a combination of these Zalman 5.1 headphones and extra mic, which are sold as a bundle here in Europe:

http://www.amazon.co...8&s=electronics

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16836501002

Has anybody any experiences with 5.1 headphones?

I like the concept of having seperate headphones and a mic, since then I can use my speakers during the day and the headphones in the evening/at night, without having to change the microphone. I could use a two splitter to connect headphones and speakers to the PC and just mute whichever oen I'm not using. And if the 5.1 actually works out well that's nice as well...

Tell me what you're using, if you're happy with it, and what you think I should get. Budget is 50-100$

Thanks!

#2 Bosch

Bosch

The cake is a lie

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 01:44 AM

Something to think of, the quality of your soundcard makes a difference as well. I've personally found that onboard sound sucks....which reminds me, I need to go buy a Creative Labs board.

#3 Elendril

Elendril

KINDOFABIGDEAL

• Members
  • 5560 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 01:44 AM

I have a sennheiser headset, and have for about a year and a half now. It's great.

#4 Easar

Easar

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 01:47 AM

Something to think of, the quality of your soundcard makes a difference as well. I've personally found that onboard sound sucks....which reminds me, I need to go buy a Creative Labs board.

I got one of those Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music cards, and it pisses me off that with a 100$ you can't amplify the mic volume to a useful level, my not-so-goo onboard sound is better in that respect. The sound quality of the X-Fi is great, but software wise and feature-wise it's lacking...

Edit: If you're gonna buy a Creative card, be sure to buy an X-Fi, the older Audigy ones are (as it stands now) not going to be supported for Windows Vista.

#5 Bryne

Bryne

The Treachery of Forums

•  Patrons
  • 4436 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 01:55 AM

I use a Plantronics GameCom Pro 1 USB headset, which I think ran about $75. It's got fabric earcups that are totally comfortable to wear for hours on end, even though it's got some solidity to it, including the mic boom which swivels up out of my way when I just want to use them as a headset. I don't see it on Plantronics' site anymore, but a lot of retailers on and offline carry them.

I like using this USB headset since the system treats it as a separate device, which is handy when I want to send WoW's sound output to my speakers and Vent to my headphones.

Its a similar thing to when someone says ¢0.75 when they want to say is "seventy-five cents", ie $0.75

#6 Easar

Easar

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 01:59 AM

I use a Plantronics GameCom Pro 1 USB headset, which I think ran about $75. It's got fabric earcups that are totally comfortable to wear for hours on end, even though it's got some solidity to it, including the mic boom which swivels up out of my way when I just want to use them as a headset. I don't see it on Plantronics' site anymore, but a lot of retailers on and offline carry them.

I like using this USB headset since the system treats it as a separate device, which is handy when I want to send WoW's sound output to my speakers and Vent to my headphones.

That's neat, did not think of that, actually solves my connection problem of having to use a headset at night and speakers during the day.

#7 Lamaros

Lamaros

King Hippo

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:10 AM

I have some Sennheiser 570s, the most comfortable headphones I've ever had by FAR. And comfort matters a lot. They also have great sound quality.

I just use the mic from a cheap headset for mine, I hang it around my neck.

#8 Praanz

Praanz

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:14 AM

I have that exact Sennheiser headphone your linking. Overall I'd say im very pleased, Sennheiser has excellent sound quality both inbound and outbound.

The only thing I could say that's negative is that it gets abit 'heavy' on the top of your head after many hour of use. The times when I go above 10 hours of playing i need to adjust the position of it more frequent because I get a 'headache' from them, not a proper one but you get what I mean.

Saying that, one can wonder wich headphone would feel comfy' after that many hours of usage.
Raiding is full of challenge. Sometimes there is fire.

You have not to move out of the fire, it will be nerfed soon.

#9 Dakous

Dakous

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:15 AM

About a year ago, I got a generic $10-15 headset with mic from Radioshack. It finally @#$@ed out... after a year of an adult male rolling over the cord in a chair. Noone's ever said I was anything other than clear, and when I hear myself echo on other people's setups, I sound more or less how I expect. Justified, to me, spending another $10-15 on the replacement pair. They're quite wonderful in my opinion, they serve their purpose, are comfortable to me, and I've never heard of anyone even getting close to that price.
Everybody is your brother until the rent comes due.

#10 Twiddy

Twiddy

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:38 AM

I have a Playstation 2 USB headset/mic, and like bryne said being able to play vent through just the headset and wow through the speakers is really nice.

I don't think the Playstation 2 headsets are any higher quality then most, but they're cheap, like $20 new.

#11 xi0nic

xi0nic

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:02 AM

Hmm, USB headset! Smart idea...

I personally am using a Sennheiser headset. After using a cheap Logitech headset for several months, going to this new set is pure sex. PC150's for those interested. Comfortable headset, excellent sound quality. Gogogo!

#12 Thegreatcow

Thegreatcow

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:02 AM

I've been using these puppies with my Creative X-FI Fatality Card

http://www.turtlebea...producthome.asp

Granted they are quite expensive, but having a booster built into the cord along with fantastic surround sound support makes them quite nice.

The major caveat I have with them is that if you wear glasses, especially if they're new, they will pinch your earlobes and your glasses support arms quite painfully at first, you kind of have to take breaks using them.

Other than that, built in 5.1 support with a microphone and a built in amplifyer make them a very solid "jack of all trades" set of headphones/mic that support pretty much anything you throw at them.

#13 delljit

delljit

Piston Honda

• Allied Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:51 AM

Used sennheisser for a few years and theyre just weak when it comes to wiring durability. First headset the left ear just started to die out, second headset the jack end that plugs into the pc went and required a wriggle every now and then to get sound back. I use icemat siberia's now and have no complaints, mic disconnects as well so i can use it elsewhere. Sound quality pretty good and cords are thick and durable.

#14 Tinuva

Tinuva

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 07:25 AM

I bought a really cheap mic-headset sennheisser pair, it was R280 here in South Africa which translates to about 40 US $, sound is perfect, comfortable even after 10 hours since its very lightweight.

My soundcard is another story though, its an Aureal Vortex 2 which at the time, and still, amazing quality sound however drivers are not updated at all anymore so when I get Vista I'll have to look for something new. Gonna miss this baby, it served me well.
Few people can see the genius in someone who has offended them.
For in much wisdom is much grief, and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

#15 Empala

Empala

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 07:38 AM

I happen to have one of these, Sennheiser PC160.
http://www.senncom.d...ProductId=PC160

I've been using a Logitech headset for over a year before, but I must say that Sennheiser feels (and sounds) a lot more professional. Cost me about 85€, 5months ago...

My soundcard is a X-FI Platinum. I'm not an audiophile, but it sounds amazing imo.

http://www.creative....9&product=14065

#16 Taipan

Taipan

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:19 AM

I have a Sennheiser as well, and it's the best headset I've ever had.

#17 marketa

marketa

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:45 AM

I currently use http://www.newegg.co...N82E16826106931 and man does it hurt the ears to wear. The mic is very good but the speakers kinda suck.

I used to have http://www.newegg.co...N82E16826106932 that I picked up from compusa and they are a little easier to wear but the mic is horrible along with the sound.

#18 Maniq

Maniq

Doesn't really think you're awesome - Sorry.

• ♦ Administrators
  • 2783 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:11 PM

I have nothing but good things to say about: http://www.sennheise...nsf/root/500169 PC 165 USB.

Really good quality in sound and, as many others have said, the ability to be able to listen to vent in headphones, with music on in the background, when combined with a noise cancellation mic is really nice.

#19 Kalman

Kalman

Super Macho Man

• Members
  • 8791 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:15 PM

I use a set of Audio-technica ATH-M40fs studio headphones. No, I didn't buy them for WoW, but if you have really nice headphones lying around, why wouldn't you use them? (This is the same logic behind my using the rest of my ridiculous audio setup as well, although I can't really advocate someone picking up all the hardware they'd need to use the same mic as me - Rode NT1 - I can certainly advocate grabbing a set of the ATH's if you do more than just WoW. They're very good for music as well, obviously, and are designed for professionals who are going to be wearing them for hours on end, so they're comfortable as all hell. They do, however, give an absolutely vicious case of headphone hair.)
Melador> Incidentally, these last few pages are why people hate lawyers.
Viator> I really don't want to go all Kalman here.
Bury> Just imagine what the world would be like if you used your powers for good.

#20 Phoenix

Phoenix

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:32 PM

Gotta echo the Sennheiser recommendations, they're quality pieces of kit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users