Photo

Headset/Microphone/Headphones - What's good?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 Orald

Orald

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:44 PM

I use a pair of Sennheiser PC150 and I like them a lot. They sit kind of loose (on my head at least) and don't push hard against my ears, which my old Koss SB45 did. Some like it, some don't. I like it and I get a light headache after an hour with the SB45s, which was the reason for buying new ones. If you for some reason like shaking your head alot, they might not be perfect. Other than that, they're really nice. Compared to SB45 they also have a better sound quality both in the mic and speakers.

#22 Niallest

Niallest

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 01:29 PM

Being a priest, i do tend to shake my head a lot, but i'm not saying i like it!

I've had that generic 20$ Logitech headset that came with UT2004 way back when, and it's just now starting to wear down on me. I know a lot of people have had problems with them, but i'm not one of those people. 3 years is a long ass time for that cheap headset to last me, with the amount of time i spend on vent/TS. When the padding on the earpieces finally rips completely off on me, i will just go and pick up another set.

#23 hohoh0

hohoh0

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:31 PM

I have had Sennheiser HD580s for ~6 years now and they're still working flawlessly. I believe they're down to 150-180 now. My only complaint about them is that for some reason, the left wires always die out after about a year, and I'm forced to replace them. They sound perfect, though, with my SB X-fi platinum.

#24 Erongg

Erongg

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 794 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:42 PM

I have the Senn HD-580s also, and have just ordered a lapel microphone (also called a lavalier mic) from Amazon. Search for "lapel microphone" and lots of options come up. I haven't been able to use it yet, but I'm looking forward to it. I hate having to deal with two headsets.

#25 mek

mek

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 478 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:42 PM

Someone bought me Sennheisers as a gift many years ago, and the wires blew out in a few months, so I've avoided them since. I'm willing to give them a second chance, but it was an odd failure, to be sure. Even a mediocre pair of Sony headphones seems to be able to last for half a decade, and yet many people report Sennheiser wiring failing very quickly.

#26 zahd

zahd

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:52 PM

I've had a pair of Sennheisers for a long time that I use as my primary audio listening headphones, but for my gaming headset I took a chance and went with the Steelsound 5h V2 after reading numerous glowing reviews http://www.steelseri..._v2/information and honestly I couldn't be happier with them. Super comfortable after many hours at a time, the mic that retracts into the earcup is ultra convienent and the quality on the mic is superb. The price is right too, you can usually find a great deal on them at Buy.com using the cashback with google checkout method.

#27 Nite_Moogle

Nite_Moogle

I prefer the term treasure hunting

• Allied Members
  • 11,288 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:03 PM

I bought http://www.bose.com/...eadphones_index a few weeks ago after I started getting dull headaches at work (I have a dozen servers running behind me) and the sound quality of them is outstanding. They aren't powered but just having them on kills a good deal of noise, and my headaches have gone away.

I'm not on Vent very much these days (I tend to end up saying things that I shouldn't say) but I have http://www.logitech....,CONTENTID=9523 that are reasonably comfortable to wear for long periods of time and have good input quality.

Eh, my nostalgia goggles aren't as good as they used to be.

#28 Deathwing

Deathwing

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:51 PM

I try to stay away from headsets. Something about combining systems that really shouldn't be usually ends up in compromised quality. Same reason why I stay away from computer speakers. Not that I use them anymore. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD595's, they are great. Added bonus of Sennheisers is that they open-air headphones, so when speaking on Vent, you can annoy your guildmates with your quirky music tastes. I think I wasted 20 minutes of a raid explaining why I had the saxophone rendition of the Beverly Hills Cop theme.

Kalman is right though, any high-end headphone will give you wicked headphone hair.

BTW, I hookup my headphones directly to my Audigy ZS 2. Can anyone recommend a good headphone amp, or is it not needed?

#29 Glass

Glass

besides... it's all in the reflexes.

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 04:19 PM

I've been using the Razer Barracuda headset. 8 drivers with amplifiers for each of them, excellent sound quality. Extremely comfortable, but probably a little more pricey than you are looking for they retail for around $140usd. Also, as Kalman stated the headphone hair is ubelievable...

http://www.razerzone...ing-Headphones/

#30 Eej

Eej

Soda Popinski

• Allied Members
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 04:48 PM

I used to use the Zalman 5.1 headphones, until wear and tear (i.e. tugging on the headphone, rolling over the cord) tore one of the wires inside, causing me to lose my center channel. At that point I said "screw it" and went back to my speakers full time, but they were pretty good at simulating 5.1 sound (not as good as speakers, mind you).

Now I just use a Logitech Premium USB Headset 350 (wtf kind of name is that?) that my dad stopped using. Headsets with USB connectors are pretty nice, as aforementioned, especially when you want to pipe the voice chat to your headset instead of through your speakers. This is especially useful if you have foul-mouthed guildies and people walking around in earshot of your computer. ;o

#31 Kerruul

Kerruul

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 07:27 PM

Used sennheisser for a few years and theyre just weak when it comes to wiring durability. First headset the left ear just started to die out, second headset the jack end that plugs into the pc went and required a wriggle every now and then to get sound back. I use icemat siberia's now and have no complaints, mic disconnects as well so i can use it elsewhere. Sound quality pretty good and cords are thick and durable.

I have to second this. The Sennheiser's are comfortable, they sound good, and are good from an audio perspective (NB: The USB model is your best bet, imo.) Unfortunately, they're not very durable. The wiring flakes out easy, and they don't take the sort of abuse that often happen in gaming. (Let's put it this way, don't slam them down angrily after the 15th stupid wipe in an evening of progression raiding...)

I've not tried the icemats. I'm currently using a pair of logitechs (don't remember the model number). These are less good audio wise, but seem far more durable.

I'd really rather replace this setup with a decent monitor mounted microphone and a pair of high end audio headphones (a pair of Grados, which I already own), but I have yet to find a good microphone. (at least, one that's suited for the computer that doesn't require a pre-amp and so forth...)

#32 Lok

Lok

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 07:46 PM

I have been using a Logitech precision gaming headset (http://www.amazon.co...3/dp/B0002XIX0E) for about 1yr now. The headset is designed to have the band around your back of the neck. I am pleased with the reliability of the sound levels for vent (nobody has to complain about my levels varying) and it has survived the usual rolling over the cord with the desk chair. The only problem I have had with it is spacing of the headphones. Apparently it was designed for someone with a bigger head than me, and a smaller head than my friend and there is no adjustment. So it slips off my ears unless I pull my ears through the gap in the earpieces, and my big headed friend complains that it is hot and painful after 2hrs. So the electronics is great, the durability is great, but fit leaves something to be desired.

#33 Kerruul

Kerruul

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:14 PM

I have been using a Logitech precision gaming headset (http://www.amazon.co...3/dp/B0002XIX0E) for about 1yr now.

Yep that's the same one I use. It's decent, and way more durable than the Sennheisers (like I said). I like the sound on the sennheisers better, but what can you do?

#34 Anias

Anias

Solution complicated; Dispense enlightening graph.

•  Patrons
  • 4,621 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:10 PM

Kalman (or others) would you be able to recomend a coherent method for modular USB sound that Doesn't Suck™?

I'm spoiled by having spent a very long time with access to studio equipment as a hobby/volunteer work (Yay for theatre) but have not bothered to upgrade my home setups because of the turnover rate on my gaming hardware (I'm playing on a laptop atm, and likely to update it again in the near future).

Ideally, I'd like to find a good way to get sound out of the laptop with the usual failure suspects being modular (Minimum full wiring, idealy some of the other garbage) so I can replace the fail points instead of the entire system.

This would ideally start with a usb cord to a external audio device that either produced true channeled sound, or if there's a mixer that can support usb point it my way.

I happen to have a pair of nice headphones, and even have a nice mic packed away. The only trouble is that they're expecting something a little more theatre like and a lot less computer like as their connection style, and I haven't found a Good Way to get the sound into a mixer. (I could go buy a tower I suppose, but that defeats the purpose. I'd like to keep my audiophile upgrade schedule seperate from my gamer pc update schedule if I can).

As for headsets, the best advice I can offer as a laptop user so far is to accept that if you cannot change the wires, you are going to buy new ever x months where x is determined by your personal workspace/habits. I'm working with an altec lansing pair that is nothing special, but had the benefit of having a seperate USB device for the usb audio card, with normal jacks for the headset/mic. It's made the "these cables died, time to replace" part a bit easier, and probably saved me a few dollars in replacement each cycle.
First star to the right, and straight on till morning.

#35 Bryne

Bryne

The Treachery of Forums

•  Patrons
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:15 PM

I have been using a Logitech precision gaming headset (http://www.amazon.co...3/dp/B0002XIX0E) for about 1yr now.

I can positively state that this is the most awful, uncomfortable, poorly designed pair of headphones I have ever used.

When you're going to be gaming for an extended period of time, you want the kit to be resting on your head, not your ears. This headset is rediculously uncomfortable after only a few minutes.

Its a similar thing to when someone says ¢0.75 when they want to say is "seventy-five cents", ie $0.75

#36 Easar

Easar

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:41 PM

Well whether it's comfortable or not mostly depends on the wearer himself. I went to some kind of Best Buy today equivalent to try out regular stereo headphones and after wearing the available Sennheisers in my price range for about 5 seconds each I knew that these just weren't made for my head.

I did some research on 5.1 headphones and foudn out that whats actually much better is some good 50+$ headphones coupled with a Creative soundcard, preferably an X-Fi and turning on "CMSS 3D". You actually get a very real surround sound feeling in headphone mode with this. in the forums I read everyone agreed that this far superior to any 5.1 headphones. Try this, even if you use speakers usually, I was quite amazed by the effects.
Like when I guys with pictures in their sig of their headphones collection of 20+ headphones worth several thousand bucks post about how great the CMSS 3d of the Creative Xi-Fi is paired with some decent headphones for playing Counterstrike, then you know there's gotta be some truth to it ;) (I hope this sentence makes sense...)

I ordered Philips SGH 8900 from amazon, these were the ones that I felt most comfortable at the store with and the sound quality is also good, though not as good as Sennheisers that I coulr have gotten (HD 485, supposed to be great for gmaing, but my head is too big or them). I'm not enough of an audiophile to notice a difference in sound quality anyways...

Edit: expanded the psot a bit

#37 Schnappi

Schnappi

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 04:05 AM

I can positively state that this is the most awful, uncomfortable, poorly designed pair of headphones I have ever used.

When you're going to be gaming for an extended period of time, you want the kit to be resting on your head, not your ears. This headset is rediculously uncomfortable after only a few minutes.

I use the headset that was included with the UT2k4 Special Edition. They are "ear-resters" as well and I have to say that comfort is a matter of getting used to them. I had a lot of pain in the upper parts of my ears when first using them, but after a few days my ears got used to the pressure and feel no pain at all.

The biggest problem I have with them is that sound on one side disappears very often. Only juggling the volume very carefully seems to help.

#38 Renaldo

Renaldo

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 04:11 AM

Which toothpaste would most improve my World of Warcraft experience? Please name what brand you use and why.

#39 Boethius

Boethius

THE DON

• ♦ Administrators
  • 4,778 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 05:17 AM

Which toothpaste would most improve my World of Warcraft experience? Please name what brand you use and why.

Dumb post. This is a valid topic for a gaming forum. Please refrain from retardo trolling.

#40 Lok

Lok

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:08 PM

Just to clairfy...I pull my ears through the slot on my Logitech headphones because they fall off otherwise. They were not designed to be worn in this manner, and this is just my seat of the pants solution to the fitting issue. I got used to it pretty fast and now game for long sessions with no pain or discomfort. I suppose it really comes down to what your pain threshold is, and how long you are willing to put up with something to grow used to it. My big headed friend who complains about the Logitech headset also describes earmuffs as 'excrutiatingly painful'. I laugh as I picture big fluffy pink earmuffs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users