• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Humbaba

Humbaba

Mr. Sandman

• Allied Members
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 07:59 PM

So I dropped engineering to take up jewelcrafting and yesterday I found (the hard way) the best reason to stay with engineering. You can be discombobulated off a flying mount. If you're an engineer, you can use your parachute cloak to fall to safety (it's more useful offensively, I think). Obviously mages and priests can slow fall, but the rest of us are in a bit of a jam. A little research has shown from Feralas, but it has a 20 minute duration. There's also from Olaf in Uldaman. Anyone know of anything else that will stop death from fall damage? The shield will only help 3 classes. Since I'm one of the classes that can use it, does anyone remember where Olaf is in Uldaman?

#2 Vinsent

Vinsent

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 08:07 PM

I believe inulnerablity potions do http://www.thottbot.com/?i=17214
Paladin bubbles of both kinds do.
One of Noggenfoggers effects is slow fall.
Holiday item but: http://www.thottbot.com/?i=52377 does as well.

I would enjoy the discombulators while they last I cannot imagine that this will not be nerfed sometime in the near future. But I could be wrong.
Check out my board game! - www.facebook.com/TitansTactics

#3 Muggins

Muggins

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 08:08 PM

He is one of the 3 Lost Dwarves (brilliant reference to an old game) in one of the dead-end nooks inside Uldaman itself where you pick up the headpiece for the staff, however i believe that they're friendly for alliance so it may be a horde only affair.

#4 Cryect

Cryect

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 08:18 PM

Area 52 Rocket Helm can be used while falling.
I need to do something useless.

#5 Nikisa

Nikisa

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 08:21 PM

Mages can blink while falling (to save feathers) and druid can shift into cat form. The fall damage is prevented in both cases.

#6 Cryect

Cryect

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 09:08 PM

I wish shifting to cat form prevented fall damage >_>

#7 oNt-

oNt-

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 09:12 PM

what can warlock do :x ?

#8 Tacitus

Tacitus

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 09:14 PM

We go "splat".

Or pick up engineering/get lucky with Noggenfogger.
Brotherhood, Peace, Unity

#9 Banelion

Banelion

Suave, Sophisticated

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 09:29 PM

It'll be interesting to see if Blizzard ever actually implement some form of Aerial combat, perhaps one day the dragon we might be riding could breath fire, or we could attack in melee? (Similar to the UBRS Rend, or the new Ramparts boss.) I heard one person suggest once that Hunters should be able tame a beast as their mount then use it as a pet on the ground, again like the Ramparts.

I think there's alot of room for expansion in this.

As for the topic at hand, everyone can drink invul pots. So that's one way.
[18:33] <FalkFalkFalk> did you know that if you zone into Hyjal with both Warglaives of Azzinoth
[18:33] <FalkFalkFalk> Furion Stormrage appears and says "Where did you get that? Did HE send you?"
[18:33] <FalkFalkFalk> optional Mt Hyjal boss
---
[17:59] <JamesVZ> i jerk off to my TPS during evocate

#10 SaintDemoniac

SaintDemoniac

Bad Cop

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 09:45 PM

Theres a few things that you can do to get out of fall damage, alot of them were mentioned already.

Druids can (or at least I've been told they can) shift to bear and charge someone on the ground to avoid fall damage. They're even calling it the "druid bomb", flight form > shift out > moonfire > bear > charge.

Best thing I've seen so far is blinking before going splat (I'm a mage) even killed someone in midair this way. There was a druid ganking around halaa, killed him, he ended up rezzing and taking off in flight form. I was able to get off a fireball/scorch before he got out of range, leaving him with a sliver of life. Mounted up on my epic flyer, flew after him, dismount in midair + fireblast = dead druid. Blinking before I hit the ground was just priceless. One of the few times I could actually feel the person screaming at me, heh.

The whole discombobulater thing just feels like an oversight. I mean you can't be poly'd on flying mount, why the d-ray? As an addition, can't EVERYONE use discombobulator? Just need an engi to make it?

#11 frmorrison

frmorrison

Protector

• Allied Members
  • 11,427 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 10:03 PM

As an addition, can't EVERYONE use discombobulator? Just need an engi to make it?

Right, http://www.thottbot.com/?i=9263, anyone can use a Discombobulator Ray, just need someone to craft it for you.

#12 Snowy

Snowy

Mitt Romney?

• Moderators
  • 10,236 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 10:56 PM

Undead Spriests and arcane mages have the best options. I can dismount, levitate, then activate trinket of choice and go dev plague->swp->swd->relevitate (since swd you take damage). You're going to need be north of 7-8k hp to survive that. And even if they do, if you have an epic flying mount you very well may be able to find them again quickly to finish it off.

One really important note -- if you kill someone on their mount and they're sufficiently high enough off the ground, they have no option except to spirit res.

#13 Auxilium

Auxilium

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:09 PM

One really important note -- if you kill someone on their mount and they're sufficiently high enough off the ground, they have no option except to spirit res.

It's going to be interesting to see how they are going to fix this and other aerial combat issues. My guess is that they'll fix this specific issue by having the corpse drop to the ground - mounts where never meant to be used in combat so I doubt the issues will be solved by introducing true aerial combat.

#14 Northerner

Northerner

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 12:18 AM

Did they change things? I used to be quite able to survive any fall using shadowform or defensive stance at least, although you wouldn't come out of it too healthily of course and this was definitely a long time back. Pretty much anything that reduced damage by a percentage would be enough. I gather sentry totem was long ago fixed so they might have cleaned these up at the same time, I'm really not sure. As it stands on my Mage, blink is the staple and iceblock backs it up for when blink bugs out.

#15 Gogusrl

Gogusrl

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 02:33 AM

nope, they just need to get someone to queue them to a bg, you accept the queue, load there alive, afk out.

#16 ildon

ildon

Collateral Damage

• Members
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 05:53 PM

Did they change things? I used to be quite able to survive any fall using shadowform or defensive stance at least, although you wouldn't come out of it too healthily of course and this was definitely a long time back. Pretty much anything that reduced damage by a percentage would be enough. I gather sentry totem was long ago fixed so they might have cleaned these up at the same time, I'm really not sure. As it stands on my Mage, blink is the staple and iceblock backs it up for when blink bugs out.

That was fixed a couple patches ago. I still switch to defensive stance while falling out of habit. :/
<Kalroth> ( . Y . )
<buttbot> ( . BUTT . )
<Kalroth> <3

#17 FunBall

FunBall

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 06:07 PM

Use the Ray while you can. There was a blue post on the bug forums a few days ago that it was a known issue to be addressed (zapping people while they are flying). I haven't seen any other form of crowd control that works (poly, entangle roots, etc.).

http://forums.worldo...=71584404&sid=1

Air to air combat is pretty fun, although moonfire is not exactly the best tool for the job.

#18 Banelion

Banelion

Suave, Sophisticated

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:34 PM

Use the Ray while you can. There was a blue post on the bug forums a few days ago that it was a known issue to be addressed (zapping people while they are flying). I haven't seen any other form of crowd control that works (poly, entangle roots, etc.).

http://forums.worldo...=71584404&sid=1

Air to air combat is pretty fun, although moonfire is not exactly the best tool for the job.

I think PoM Poly would work. It'd also be quite funny falling to your untimely death as a sheep / turtle / pig.
[18:33] <FalkFalkFalk> did you know that if you zone into Hyjal with both Warglaives of Azzinoth
[18:33] <FalkFalkFalk> Furion Stormrage appears and says "Where did you get that? Did HE send you?"
---

#19 Cryect

Cryect

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:37 PM

I think PoM Poly would work. It'd also be quite funny falling to your untimely death as a sheep / turtle / pig.

Pops up as Immune on players on flying mounts.

#20 Banelion

Banelion

Suave, Sophisticated

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:43 PM

How boring.
---

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users