• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 Solensean

Solensean

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 04:37 PM

We brought a fury warrior as DPS only last night. He was using max consumables and basically anything that would give him AP including a Flask. He was over 3200 attack power, self buffed. He finished the night at #1 DPS. We only had two healers and basically cleared up to Curator with no issues.

I think I'll have a talk with mine, then. Could you link me to his stuff ?

#62 Tel

Tel

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 05:00 PM

We brought a fury warrior as DPS only last night. He was using max consumables and basically anything that would give him AP including a Flask. He was over 3200 attack power, self buffed. He finished the night at #1 DPS. We only had two healers and basically cleared up to Curator with no issues.

The problem is, that doesnt give me any indication of how much dps he was doing. I could go in, flask up etc and be #1 dps. If the rest of the raid arent using consumables, and one guy is, then obviously he will be top. What I'd be interested in is how his dps compares to people with similar levels of buffs.

#63 Cannings

Cannings

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 05:02 PM

I'm usually MT but I have Mace Crafted Haste proc mace + good blues from 5 mans and use kings defender in offhand and can still win the dmg meters with impale/rampage spec. Fury warriors are definately not nerfed

#64 Bliss

Bliss

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 06:31 PM

My Kara group brings a fury warrior for more or less just dps(me), along with a fury/prot warrior OT and a feral druid MT. We run dru/war/war/hunt/sham as group1, and warlock/mage/spriest/priest/pally as group2. I am usually top for dps on every single boss fight, except for things like Illhoof of course. Windfury and 3.5k AP(Unleashed Rage) before click trinkets/crusader gives me pretty great rage generation. Usually running about 31% crit and 14.5% hit with raid buffs.

When we killed Aran for the first time last week, with most people using some sort of dps consumables, no flasks though, he died with just under 50% mana left. I was at just under 1300 dps for the fight afterwards, which includes me fucking up and forgetting to refresh sunder during execute spam.

DPS warriors are just like before, get the gear, get the buffs, and the damage will come. It just takes more to get you there.

#65 Malan

Malan

Mike Tyson

• Allied Members
  • 29,830 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:06 PM

Finally managed to clear Aran last night and we went upstairs to have a look at Netherspite. We were amazed that with only a quick explanation of what the beams did we had him at around 65% before he wiped us in phase 2. We've had a very consistent raid composition that we really want to try to maintain, we dislike the idea of stacking raids.

That said, we normally roll to KZ with 2 tanks, 2 healers, 1-2 Warlocks, 1 enhance shaman, 3-4 assorted DPS. We have completed every encounter up to this point with only 2 healers (every opera event, aran, maiden, illhoof, all the "tough" ones) and 2 tanks. Is this possible with Netherspite? I've read a few strats that say you * must* bring 3 tanks and 3 healers but we'd rather have a harder fight and not do that if its possible.

#66 Shalas

Shalas

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:24 PM

You need three tanks, but what can serve as a tank is pretty broad due to the nature of the red beam. All you really need is to always have a tank who can't be 1-shot by a crit, and even a mage fills that for a quarter or so of a phase. At worst, the red beam only makes him take less damage, which while undesirable, is nowhere as bad as the other two beams. Fewer than three healers would be hard mainly due to the spread of damage, but with the green beam even in damage gear an enh shaman wouldn't be terrible. Two tanks/two healers is definatly suboptimal, but I'd be surprised if it was outright impossible.

#67 Kestrel

Kestrel

Jezebel

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:48 PM

That said, we normally roll to KZ with 2 tanks, 2 healers, 1-2 Warlocks, 1 enhance shaman, 3-4 assorted DPS. We have completed every encounter up to this point with only 2 healers (every opera event, aran, maiden, illhoof, all the "tough" ones) and 2 tanks. Is this possible with Netherspite? I've read a few strats that say you * must* bring 3 tanks and 3 healers but we'd rather have a harder fight and not do that if its possible.

You don't need 3 tanks for Netherspite. You can have someone else step into the red beam after the tank has recieved ~30 stacks. We usually use a paladin for this, but a shaman with a shield can also work, or a rogue (usually with high dodge % or popping evasion). Toward the end of the fight, pretty much anyone can take the beam for a bit if necessary since it will still take him a few hits to get through ~40k health.

However, it is a fairly healing-intensive fight due to the constant netherburn damage. Our elemental shaman is healing for most of the fight (usually helping the warlock in the blue beam to stay topped off and healing the group), and we have 2 other full-time healers. Taking arcane and/or shadow protection potions can reduce the healing load, and everyone needs to have healthstones and health pots to take if they eat a netherbreath (since often the knockback will push them out of healing range anyway). One trick you can do is if you aren't having healers rotate through the green beam (using rogues/warriors instead) is have them take 1 tick of it because it refills their mana pool instantly.

#68 Uziel

Uziel

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:04 PM

I think I'll have a talk with mine, then. Could you link me to his stuff ?

This is his Armory profile:
http://armory.worldo...Blade&n=Cuddlez

In regards to the question about potting, etc. Everyone else were using heavy consumables that night as well.

#69 DaSquisha

DaSquisha

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:16 PM

Starting Aran this week and we have been mixing and matching to get a good raid composition...(for us) last nights crew performed very well:

MT-Prot Warr
OT-Prot Pally

DPS-
Mage x2
Warlock
Rogue
Shadow Priest

Heals-
Priest
Pally
Shaman

Our second Kara group starts this week and hopefully we can field the same type of lineup.

#70 promdates

promdates

King Beard

•  Patrons
  • 3,602 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:35 PM

Since the druid "nerf", does anyone else take a protection pally as an MT/OT? Most of these posts are before the patch changed a few things for druids, so I was trying to get a better idea of what to start looking for as far as getting kara groups at 70.

It looks like squisha's group setup would work best since the patch.
BNet: promdates#1460

#71 Tszyu

Tszyu

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:46 PM

You need three tanks, but what can serve as a tank is pretty broad due to the nature of the red beam. All you really need is to always have a tank who can't be 1-shot by a crit, and even a mage fills that for a quarter or so of a phase. At worst, the red beam only makes him take less damage, which while undesirable, is nowhere as bad as the other two beams. Fewer than three healers would be hard mainly due to the spread of damage, but with the green beam even in damage gear an enh shaman wouldn't be terrible. Two tanks/two healers is definatly suboptimal, but I'd be surprised if it was outright impossible.

Right on with the not being one shot thing. I wouldn't reccomend anything less than mail for tanking it though. Currently we use
Prot warrior
Fury warrior (stays in zerkerstance)
Banish
Feral druid/protwarrior (whatever is the OT that night)
Paladin

We also walk in there with 3 healers. Usually 2 pallies and a holy priest. The good thing about the green beam though is it can be taken by any class without having many negative effects. Rogues/warriors do this well. Having a feral druid take a green beam for a rotation is nice to just through some hots around.

Another good thing about the fight is the ability to overlap with people. Typically the fury warrior will take a red beam and then a blue beam after the banish. Same with a paladin taking the green and red.

#72 zeidrich

zeidrich

Yet again, dead again.

• Members
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:51 PM

Since the druid "nerf", does anyone else take a protection pally as an MT/OT? Most of these posts are before the patch changed a few things for druids, so I was trying to get a better idea of what to start looking for as far as getting kara groups at 70.

I'm a prot pally OT in our group, we run two groups and the OT in the other group is a prot pally as well. It works well as far as I'm concerned.

I would not be averse to having a feral druid OTing (except for the fact that it might put me out of a job). But our guild only has 2 active druids at the moment, and they're both resto.

I think I could manage to MT any of the fights we've done as well, though I haven't had the opportunity because we have a better geared prot warrior MT.

I tanked Romulo on our guild's first kill of R&J.

Our class makeups vary from week to week depending on attendance, and the fact we're trying to balance two raids without tending to favor one as an A-Team, so we don't always have the same raid groups.

In my opinion you want:
2 tanks
3 healers - Probably one who is DPS hybrid
5 DPS

The DPS should be a bit varied so that you have different forms of CC for adds. But past that breakdown I think that execution makes up for the rest.

#73 Cathela

Cathela

Still Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:01 PM

I'm the MT for one of our two Kara raids. We've gotten Malchezaar down and we're working on Nightbane. Haven't gotten NB past 50% yet, but that's mainly due to still learning the flight phase; my mitigation doesn't seem to be a problem.

It requires someone committed to the job, but a Paladin MT for Karazhan is perfectly viable.
My comrades are my weapons, and I am their shield.

#74 Falk

Falk

Soda Popinski

• Members
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:16 PM

The nerf was massively overhyped. Druid tanking in Karazhan has never been better, especially now we that 80% of the instance isn't immune to the primary aggro dump threat move.

Even post-nerf, after losing 800hp and 1700ish armor (roughly 5% more physical damage), the only place I'm ever at more risk dying than our warrior(s) (We interchange the MT/OT role depending on the fights) is probably the Spell Shade/Sorcerous Shade packs.

Warriors and Druids remain very viable tanks... and while Blizzard are (according to Blue's) 'in the process of reevaluating paladin tanking ability', a paladin who itemizes appropriately in the meantime (mainly mitigation/hit points > spell damage, since Kara is mostly undead) also makes an awesome tank.

Netherspite should be very doable with any decent group setup as long as the methods of creatively abusing the various beams' mechanics are brought into play. 2 healers (considering you took Aran out, they're likely very good) should be enough if everyone does their part to minimize breath phase damage. Also, is one of the healers a Restoration druid? One of the perks of green beam is that if timed well, a druid can basically spam regrowth on 5 high-risk people right before a breath phase, and have 600-tick heals every 3 seconds for 21 seconds, mitigating a lot of the aura ticks for a good duration of the breath phase. Renew also works wonders for this, though it doesn't last as long.

Prolly should move the discussion over here --> http://elitistjerks....read.php?t=9698 to avoid a derail.

Btw, a little late in reply, but

... however, my average ping time is in the area of 250-350ms. I'm wondering how much it will affect my survivability in these fights down the road.

I hate you so much. :(

#75 Melthar

Melthar

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 12:17 AM

The druid nerf didn't hurt that much at all in Kara. Only time I truly notice the extra damage is on Maulgar.
Threatwise, it's only things like the non elite packs before Moroes/Opera that are harder to AoE tank, all of the single target, or even dual target stuff is no problem. (for reference, I run flaskless in Kara, only the occasional agi/defense pot + food/rum as standard)

That being said, we do have a prot pally as OT for some of our groups. Basically it's been
Feral MT for one group and Prot Warrior MT for the other.
OTs have included Prot Pally, 2*Arms/Prot warrior, lesser geared ferals.

The pally has help up his end fine, but does seem to be more susceptible to being bursted down than when I've had the warrior OT, this seems to be a gearing difference more than anything else however.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users