Protection Warrior in Arena

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Alexmeria2_*

Guest_Alexmeria2_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2007 - 05:03 AM

Today I finally got a group together to make my 5v5 arena team, but I had a problem - I am a full protection warrior (5/14/42), and I can't seem to find my niche within the system.

My first thought is that I would be spell locking casters with imp shield bash and concussive blow and allow my team mates to go and kill another player. That doesn't seem to be working all that well (we haven't played too many games).

I also am also torn on what gear to wear. It seems that the gear that would make the most sense for PvP would be high crit/high shield block power gear for large shield slams. While devastate would proc the TF, it doesn't do enough damage to really be effective.

I also did some 3v3 Arenas today and I noticed that the 3v3 wasn't as bad. I wasn't as useless because there usually was only one healer to take care of and I could single him out, while in 5v5 I'm having a much larger problem doing so.

Has anyone found the protection warrior's place in 5v5 PvP?

#2 Amera

Amera

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 05:06 AM

Has anyone found the protection warrior's place in 5v5 PvP?

If you are able to unlock this mystery, I'm sure thousands of warriors everywhere will be rejoicing.

#3 XI-

XI-

Does Not Play Well With Others.

• Allied Members
  • 9,650 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 05:07 AM

If you want to be successful and climb the ladder there isn't one. You will only serve to handicap your team. If you're playing for fun, then I suppose it doesn't really matter.

#4 Elendril

Elendril

KINDOFABIGDEAL

• Members
  • 5,560 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 05:32 AM

Protection warriors are worse than any number of other classes you could bring for the spot. Rogues/mages/warlocks/hunters are all better at disruption and can actually do meaningful damage as well. Also, nothing outperforms Mortal Strike in the arena - period.

#5 LuckyAC

LuckyAC

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 06:07 AM

It's better on an RP server, because taunt actually works.

#6 probiscus

probiscus

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 06:09 AM

Our top team is kicking in the 100g each weekend for our MT to respec MS for arena. If your team is serious about arena, it's something to seriously consider.

#7 Feorthas

Feorthas

King Hippo

• Members
  • 544 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 06:30 AM

While a protection warrior may not be the most amazing thing for an arena team, they can definitely annoy the crap out of casters; our MT is PvPing with his prot spec and I think he's been able to force pallies to bubble (to get rid of the spell interruption) on his own multiple times and has even managed to get two pallies, standing literally right next to each other, to bubble at least once without any outside assistance.

Yeah, the group may not be the most serious, hardcore 5-man arena team in the battlegroup by a long shot, but we're doing ~ok~ considering that every person on it is sticking with their PvE spec during our matches.

We're running with the following makeup if it matters much:

Warrior (Prot)
Priest (Holy)
Mage (Fire)
Hunter (Survival)
Druid (Feral)

#8 Nakilos

Nakilos

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 07:22 AM

If you are able to unlock this mystery, I'm sure thousands of warriors everywhere will be rejoicing.

Ya know that really is the most fitting answer to this question.

The problem with Protection warriors is they are quite literally just an annoyance to casters and a non factor versus any other melee. Pretty much any other class/build would easily be better.

#9 darthgrimm

darthgrimm

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:58 PM

Losing one of your team member just for the purpose of beeing "annoyance" dosent cut it.

I am sorry but protection warriors dont belong in the arena. You can probably wear your prot gear with DPS helm / shoulders and a big 2H so you fool the other team into thinking you are a MS warrior so they focus fire you.

That is about everything i can think of for a protection warrior. I dont think i ever saw one in 500 -600 arena games played.( 5 vs 5 / 2 vs 2 )

#10 Suesse

Suesse

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:47 PM

At least we're gnomes.

From my limited experience in Arenas on my alt, I would say you might still be an asset when fighting really bad teams because they have a tendency to focus fire on the first thing they see, which can be you.

I'd probably go high stamina / shield block instead of crit. Did you go impale / deep wounds in your prot spec?

#11 Warmaker

Warmaker

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:58 PM

I am MT for my guild, and did not respec out of prot for my 5v5 arena fights.

We had a holy priest, holy paladin, rogue (unsure of spec), enhancement shaman and myself, 5/11/45.

I expected going in to be little more than an annoyance, one that bad teams (if we were lucky) would focus on and one that good teams would ignore. What I found instead was that between pummel, conc blow, pummel, war stop, pummel, intim shout, pummel, intercept, pummel, I was able to keep a healer locked down for a very long period of time. If a team had two healers, I went for the heavier one (pally or shaman) while the rest of the team focused on the ligher one (priest or druid.) We went 13-5, raising our overall rating for the week to 1590.

Add in Commanding shout, intervene (yes, common abilities, I know) and piercing howl, and I felt like I was contributing a lot, and had reached the realm of "utility," up from "annoyance."

I wore duel wield DPS gear to help with rage gen, ready to swap on a shield if I attracted magical DPS attention.

Would a DPS warrior been better suited to my spot? Perhaps. They don't have as many interrupt options, but have additional damage available. Did any of my team feel like I was a waste of a spot, even though we all half expected/feared just that? Nope.

#12 Cynic

Cynic

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:47 PM

Would a DPS warrior been better suited to my spot? Perhaps. They don't have as many interrupt options, but have additional damage available. Did any of my team feel like I was a waste of a spot, even though we all half expected/feared just that? Nope.

It's not even the DPS the other warrior puts out that is in question, it's Mortal Strike. I honestly don't think warriors bring anything else of great value to a team that another class can not do better.

... but 90% of teams need Mortal Strike, so atleast be happy thats available to you.

#13 Uziel

Uziel

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 05:05 PM

Since the rogue poison and mortal strike do not stack, would not rogues be able to apply the same debuff then?

#14 Roses

Roses

Banned

• Banned
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 05:12 PM

Poisons can be cleansed/dispelled, mortal strike cannot.

I do feel for the protection warriors in arenas though. Some specs are simply superior overall than others for PvP. I wouldn't mind if Blizzard went the route that some other PvP games have done, and gave tanks PvP taunt.

#15 subscience

subscience

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 812 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 05:30 PM

In various battlegrounds, Protection Warriors were viable (and even optimal) for a few niche roles. Flag carrying in WSG, guarding a node in AB, or PvE tanking in AV were some of the things a Protection Warrior was capable of performing well. But in terms of arena combat, I sadly don't see a viable role for Protection Warriors.

As noted above, Arms Warriors are nearly irreplaceable for MS alone. A Rogue is much better suited for locking down spell casters (especially with Cloak of Shadows- one Frost Nova or Freeze Trap means a non-Gnome Protection Warrior is more or less shut down).

The problem is that you can't force actual players to focus fire on you other than by using Intervene. Since that's the role in which Protection Warriors truly shine (especially against other physical damage classes), we don't get to fully utilitize all of our talents, skills, and gear.

But to answer your question, if you're simply playing for fun and maybe a few epics down the line, sure, stick with Protection. I think Protection is a fun spec to play, personally. However, if you want to focus on arena combat, it may be worth it to farm a few gold every week for a respec, especially if your 5 man team doesn't already have an Arms Warrior.

#16 Keline

Keline

King Hippo

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 05:47 PM

Poisons can be cleansed/dispelled, mortal strike cannot.

Actually MS can be removed with BoP - it is currently impossible to cleanse poison applied with the main hand.

#17 Guest_Ahiru_*

Guest_Ahiru_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2007 - 06:13 PM

Actually MS can be removed with BoP - it is currently impossible to cleanse poison applied with the main hand.

What you're seeing is that the rogue is re-stacking the poison as fast as you can cleanse it, combined with the fact that Wound Poison stacks five times at -10% healing per stack. There are ways to deal with that, depending on your group, so it's debatable which debuff is "worse." In one case, you need a single class to blow a significant cooldown. In the other, you have to CC the rogue to prevent re-application, then dispell up to five times (or use Abolish Poison or Poison Cleansing Totem if available).

#18 Rennoko

Rennoko

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 06:28 PM

Honestly if you have 5 stacks of wound poison, its too late to remove it. You need poison cleanse spam, and a poison cleansing totem at the same time. The totem just does not tick enough to actually make any progress on the reapplication of the poison. And if you are going to those lengths to remove the poison, your better off kiting the rogue and running away.

#19 Roses

Roses

Banned

• Banned
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 07:19 PM

Honestly if you have 5 stacks of wound poison, its too late to remove it. You need poison cleanse spam, and a poison cleansing totem at the same time. The totem just does not tick enough to actually make any progress on the reapplication of the poison. And if you are going to those lengths to remove the poison, your better off kiting the rogue and running away.

Or divine shield. Removes practically everything but cyclone.

Obviously it's better for the rogue to go for the priest if there is one, but this is a scenario where I think two paladins might shine above a priest and a paladin. The only priest that has a counter to rogue poisons is the dwarf. The rest of us are screwed (as well as on fear ward).

MS is -50% immediately whereas wounding poison needs a few more hits to kick in, which in an assist train / burst it down situation makes the arms warrior more ideal. If the healers / assisted target have time to react then they will. BOP has a significant cooldown as well.

#20 Pigz

Pigz

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 07:19 PM

Not to mention the +40% to resist dispel effects from vile poisons, which really helps a lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users